River Cottage Farm
Many people have asked us about purchasing whole animals from River Cottage Farm and we’re happy to say that we are now in a position to start selling wholesale, which is what this works out to in real dollar terms.
The way things work when purchasing a whole animal is that you purchase your meat in bulk and truly get to eat nose to tail! We will help you to plan the cuts your family enjoys and you decide how you want your steaks etc. cut and how they’re packaged up. On this page we’ll walk you through the process and help you to understand what you need to know to take advantage of these great savings.
100% Grass Fed AND finished
When you purhase our meats, whether by the animal or by the cut, you’re getting the same amazing quality with each and every purchase.
How it Works
- Decide which Beef Share best fits your family, whether its 1/4, 1/2 or a whole steer.
- Click on the icon next to the share that best suits your needs and check out online.
- Pay in full, or pay a $250 deposit and pay in full when you pick up (for half and whole shares only). We’ll send you an invoice as soon as we receive your order.
- Give us 2-4 weeks to process and prepare orders of 1/4 shares, 4 – 6 weeks for orders of 1/2 to whole shares; we’ll give you a call when it’s ready.
- Come to River Cottage Farm and pick up your order or pick up at one of our drop-off sites, or at our farmer’s markets.
- Enjoy your delicious 100% Grass-fed AND Grass-finished Beef!
Why Grass-Fed Beef?
Grass-fed beef is better for human health than grain-fed beef in ten different ways, according to the most comprehensive analysis to date. The 2009 study was a joint effort between the USDA and researchers at Clemson University in South Carolina.
Compared with grain-fed beef, grass-fed beef is:
- Lower in total fat – two to three times lower
- Higher in beta-carotene
- Higher in vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)
- Higher in the B-vitamins thiamin and riboflavin
- Higher in the minerals calcium, magnesium, and potassium
- Higher in total omega-3s
- A healthier ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (1.65 vs 4.84)
- Higher in CLA (cis-9 trans-11), a potential cancer fighter
- Higher in vaccenic acid (which can be transformed into CLA)
- Lower in the saturated fats linked with heart disease
Grass Fed Grass Finished
“We raise our beef with our customer in mind, which is why our cattle are 100% grass-fed and grass-finished. We never use any antibiotics or growth hormones.
Our commitment to quality does not stop there. We dry-age all of our beef from 14 to 21 days to ensure the most tender, mellowed, rich-tasting beef. Dry-aging is becoming a thing of the past because much of the beef’s weight can be lost in shrinkage and trimming, lowering profits for the farmer. Instead, most farmers’ beef is now wet-aged or aged utilizing electric shock. Both of these methods fail to give comparable results to the dry-aging process. Because of our dry-aging, our beef experiences minimum shrinkage during the cooking process. This means our customers know the cut they buy from us will match the cut that ends up on their plate. But, most of all, our customers recognize the quality difference when they taste our 100% grass-fed, dry-aged beef. Our family is passionate about providing our customers with the healthiest, safest, and highest quality beef.
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
Get yours now
Straight From the Farm
We Believe in Quality
Here’s what you can expect when you order in bulk. This breakdown is very general but gives you a good idea of what you’ll get with each of the options.
Beef Shares What you get
1/4 ShareApproximately 92 lbs
- A half side of beef. The Quarter Beef Share is about 4 boxes. It will fit inside a small 5 cubic feet chest freezer
- 36 lbs Ground Beef
- 6 lbs Ground Chuck
- 7 lbs Ground Sirloin
- 2.5 lbs NY Strip Steak (about 4 steaks)
- 2.5 lbs Top Sirloin Steak (about 4-5 steaks)
- 3 lbs Rump Roast (1 roast)
- 3.5 lbs Sirloin Tip Roast (1 roast)
- 2 lbs Flat Iron Steak (about 2-3 steaks)
- 1.25 lbs Filet (about 4-5 steaks)
- 3 lbs Stew Meat
- 5.5 lbs Short Ribs
- 3 lbs brisket
- 4.5 lbs Ribeye Steak (about 6 steaks)
- 2 lbs Kabob Meat
- 5 lbs Chuck Roast (2 roasts)
- 3lbs Marrow Bones
- 2.25 lbs Shanks
Whole SteerApproximately 365 lbs
- Whole animals are cut to your specifications. The cuts below are representative of what you might select, but each order is uniquely chosen by you. The Whole Beef Share is about 16-25 boxes. It will fit inside a large 20-25 cubic feet chest freezer
- 144 lbs Ground Beef
- 24 lbs Ground Chuck
- 28 lbs Ground Sirloin
- 10 lbs NY Strip Steak
- 9 lbs Top Sirloin Steak
- 12 lbs Rump Roast
- 14 lbs Sirloin Tip Roast
- 8 lbs Flat Iron Steak
- 5 lbs Filet
- 9 lbs Stew Meat
- 22 lbs Short Ribs
- 12 lbs Brisket
- 18 lbs Ribeye Steak
- 8 lbs Kabob Meat
- 20 lbs Chuck Roast
- 12 lbs Marrow Bones
- 9 lbs Shanks
- 2 lb Hanger Steak
- 2 lb Flank Steak
- 2 lb Skirt Steak
1/2 ShareApproximately 180 lbs
- This share gets you a full side of beef. Your side can be cut to your specifications, but the cuts below are representative of how we cut our RCF Beef. The Half Beef Share is about 8 boxes It will fit inside a medium (about 10 cf) chest freezer
- 72 lbs Ground Beef
- 12 lbs Ground Chuck
- 14 lbs Ground Sirloin
- 5 lbs NY Strip Steak
- 4.5 lbs Top Sirloin Steak
- 6 lbs Rump Roast
- 7 lbs Sirloin Tip Roast
- 4 lbs Flat Iron Steak
- 2.5 lbs Filet
- 4.5 lbs Stew Meat
- 11 lbs Short Ribs
- 6 lbs Brisket
- 9 lbs Ribeye Steak
- 4 lbs Kabob Meat
- 10 lbs Chuck Roast
- 6 lbs Marrow Bones
- 4.5 lbs Shanks
- 1 lb Hanger Steak
- 1 lb Flank Steak
- 1 lb Skirt Steak
Get IN touch
5635 Blue Level Rd
Rockfield, KY 42274
How to pick up
You can pick up your beef at our butcher in Bardstown, KY, or at the farm, by appointment.
Due to the pandemic our shop is closed but we are still attending all our regular farmer’s markets and our Wednesday delivery drop off locations