Dairy - Chocolate Pots de Creme with White Chocolate Whipped Cream
These rich custards are the perfect ending to any meal. This custard is essentially a creme brulee without the burnt sugar topping.
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate chopped
- 1 Tb instant espresso powder or coffee powder
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3 tb sugar
- Position rack in the center of oven and preheat to 325F. Arrange six 3/4 cup custard cups or soufflé dishes in roasting pan.
- Combine whipping cream, chopped semisweet chocolate and instant espresso powder in heavy medium sauce pan. Bring almost to a simmer over medium heat, whisking until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture
- Divide custard equally among cups. Pour enough hot water into pan to come halfway up to sides of cups. Bake custards until just set around edges but soft in center, about 25 minutes
- Remove cups from water. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, at least 2 hours. (Can be made in 1 day ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated) Spoon White Chocolate Whipped Cream atop custards and serve